Skip to content
Scroll To Top
- Peel the plantain and cut it into 1-inch chunks.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Place the plantains in the oil and fry on both sides, approximately 3 1/2 minutes per side.
- Remove the plantains from the pan and flatten the plantains by placing in a plantain masher (aka tostonera) OR by placing a cup/glass/jar over the fried plantains and pressing down.
- After mashing, let cool for at least 30 minutes and place the cool mashed plantains in a zip locked bag and store in the freezer until ready to use.
- Whenever you want to eat patacones (aka tostones) remove the pieces that you want from the freezer.
- Heat the oil in a pan and place the frozen pieces in the hot oil (no need to thaw) and fry 1 minute on each side. Salt to taste and serve immediately.